outstanding workshop jobs - trim

8th Mar 2015
Tags: cladding,  construction

One of the little jobs I had forgotten about was to fit some trim between the soffits and the walls.

I used oak trim from B&Q, glued and screwed them to the wall and then filled the countersunk screw holes.   I stained the wood with a mahogany stain and then varnished it, and I am reasonably happy with the result – certainly an improvement on what was there before.

The mitres are not too bad given the slightly undulating nature of my cladding – passable from ground level at least.

Following a bit of research I decided to have a go at doing the internal corners using a scribe – a bit hard to explain, but straightforward when you try it.  You cut a normal internal miter and then use a coping saw to do a back cut that takes away the material behind the cut, using the leading cut edge as a guide.

The small size and shape of the trim meant the coping saw was a bit fiddly so I used a dremel to do the same.  It was much easier to get a tight fit than with an internal mitre.



Great! You've successfully subscribed.
Great! Next, complete checkout for full access.
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.